Ok...so everyone knows that today is Easter. It's celebrated around the world by men, women, boys, and girls. It's celebrated by blacks, white, latinos/as, Asians, Africans, Australians, etc. (you catch my drift). It's celebrated by saints and heathens, alike. Even atheists, those who proclaim that there is no God and that religion is useless celebrate Easter.
So what's your point, you might be asking. My point is...like Christmas, the world has commercialized a day that has sacred meaning for us Christians. Easter has been turned into a egg hunting, good Sunday dinner, new excuse to buy a cute outfit. All the while we forget that The Savior of the World was conquering death and finishing the purchase of our salvation. All the while we forget the pain He suffered through, the death His body had to see for 2 days. All the while we forget His sacrifice, His delight in us, His joy. I think Hebrews 2: 14-18 sums it up well:
"14Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— 15and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. 16For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's descendants. 17For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. 18Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted."
Therefore, being a believer in Jesus Christ and all that He is, I have no other choice to have a grateful heart. I might not get it right most of the time but I can at least show my gratitude for all that He went through, just for me. I know He died for the sins of the world but I don't have the time to think about what that encompasses for everyone else. I know what I have done, I know the things I secretly struggle with, I know about my filth. And that, frankly, is enough to love Him. That's enough to thank Him. That's enough to praise Him. Right about now, I need no one else to get happy with me because His love overtakes me. Song of Solomon 2:4 says, "He has taken me to the banquet hall, and His banner over me is love."
So to all those who like business as usual, Happy Easter. I hope you enjoyed the food and fun (and even church if you went). But for those like me, who refuse to let this day be diminished in our lives as just some other day. For those who recognize the magnitude of this day...who recognize that this day sealed the fate of those who believe in Jesus Christ (Romans 10:9)...for those who have gratefulness flowing from the inside, I say to you, "HAPPY RESURRECTION SUNDAY!"
A friend of the family had a song out a few years ago and everytime I hear it, it brings tears to my eyes. It begins by asking the questions, "How could they ever take Him to the cross? Why would they ever take Him to the cross? How could they ever pierce Him in His side?" It goes on to explain, "They spat in His face and mocked Him, and He never said a word. They placed a crown of thorns on His head and they draped Him in scarlet red. To make a sad story happy, this is what we have to say....HE ROSE THE LAMB OF GOD.....HE LIVES, HE LIVES, HE LIVES!!!"
My thoughts exactly. Another blog for the people. Let's be grateful, truly grateful.
Phileo love y'all,
Ash B.
