Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I.Walk.Alone.

...decided to try my hand at this poetry thing again after almost a 2 year hiatus....hope the ppl like it.

I.Walk.Alone.
copyright 2008 Ashley Burton

I walk alone
Never been one for crowds
But never one to walk with my head down
I navigate through this thing called life
With the people at my side
Changing all the time
And yet when they’re here
Still nothing’s ever clear
I.Walk.Alone.

Been trying to find my voice
Something unique amongst the shouts
Something beckoning change and resistance
Something sweet and comforting in some instances.
Never been one for crowds
But never one to walk with my head down
I.Walk.Alone.

Keep looking in the mirror
At this reflection I see
And while it’s not traditional beauty
It does just fine for Him
And in due time will do just fine for him
So I refuse to worry about which beauty standards I uphold
Because there’s nothing more beautiful than being bold
Enough to defy the tricks and the lies
After 20 years of shallow and baseless cries
I’ve come to this conclusion:
Never been one for crowds
But never one to walk with my head down
I.Walk.Alone.

Observing the world around me
Mixture of a sense of pride and pity
Pride in this gift that the Father so wonderfully gave,
Pity in this mess that we have made,
Ask me how I feel about it and I will say
Never been one for crowds
But never one to walk with my head down
I.Walk.Alone.

It’s not pride and it’s not fear
To me, it still isn’t clear
But the road less travelled isn’t one for popularity
And I choose to chart a course of solidarity
Though I walk alone, I walk not for myself
And in everything, I try to give my level best
‘Til the day He completes that perfect work in me
Peculiarity is what you’ll see
Don’t be alarmed by my comfortability
To be who I am without apology
Apologies take too much energy
And frankly I can’t live if I can’t be who I be
I’m telling you now this is who I am
A child of difference, unafraid to take a stand
Conformity is comfort, unique is a challenge
Mediocrity is safety, excellence is danger.
So I’m telling you now so you won’t have to wonder
This is in no way telling you to under-
Estimate me, but just so you know:
Never been one for crowds
But never one to walk with my head down
I.Walk.Alone.