So...it's been awhile. A long while.
Since the last time I wrote:
1) America elected it's first African American president.
2) I am literally weeks away from my graduation from Penn State.
3) God is still on the throne....or as Pastor Harry from State College Assembly says, "God is good, the devil is bad, and I know whose side I'm on!"
Now that that's out of the way...on to the important thing I need to get off my chest. So I call myself trying to be more educated; I've been trying to read different blogs to get different perspectives about things that are happening, especially perspectives from the Christian side of things. And after reading some of these, I can truly understand why in America, conservative Evangelicals come off as sooo judgmental. Now, I do not declare myself a conservative or liberal; I can give or take a few things from both sides. And I wouldn't necessarily consider myself an evangelical Christian...I grew up in a Baptist church my whole life yet I attend an Assemblies of God congregation in State College. So, I have absolutely nothing against evangelicals. What I do have a problem with, however (and this may just be a personal qualm), is the way some conservative evangelicals are so adamantly Republican that they cannot step back from it and see what's wrong with the party. I am a registered Democrat but you will never hear me say that there's nothing wrong with the Democrat Party or even assert that. I was reading a blog by my pastor in State College and I always love to read the comments to his posts because the people who comment are mostly white, conservative evangelicals. I find it interesting how a couple of them can find no good in President Obama but is willing to defend President Bush (43). I find it funny how they are willing to defend President Bush (43)'s salvation and adamantly claim that President Obama is not a Christian. Now, I am not defending President Obama's pro-choice stance; I do not support that. But claiming that W. was a Christian and then defending his actions because he was a "babe in Christ" is not right. It is equally not right to just outright say that President Obama is not saved. None of the people commenting know neither W. or Obama personally so commenting on the status of their salvation is, to me, prematurely judging. I think that the most important point to realize is that neither of these men base their decisions solely on their relationships with Christ (if they have one), which still leaves the "Christian" America in potential danger.
Another problem I have is people hiding behind political and religious views to mask true prejudices. I am not convinced that every white, conservative evangelical dislikes Obama because he is a liberal democrat. Some of them dislike him because he is black. Truth is truth. I am never one to assume that it's always the case but I am not naive as well. Covert racism is one of the biggest dividers in the Church of Jesus Christ (not of Latter Day Saints) today. Sunday morning is STILL the most segregated hour in America. And we have the conservative evangelicals whining about how Obama "gets away with murder" with the media. Pleasssseeee someone give me a break! I want them to be able to tell me that had this not been their beloved John McCain that we would be having this same conversation. I have hardly heard people call into question his relationship with the Lord and I don't believe that if he had gotten into the White House that things would be much different than they are now.
So my question is: If we do feel like Obama does not have a relationship with the Lord, how do we plan to bring him in right relationship? I know one thing: these scathing reviews from so called Evangelical Christians will not do it. Are we indeed isolating the people we're called to love and win for Christ? I don't think there's anything wrong with political commentary but some of it just borderlines hateful speech. But then again, these are the same people who listen to the man who hopes Obama fails (Rush Limbaugh--though he himself is not necessarily a Christian, he has a HUGE evangelical backing.)
I did not agree with W. on everything (though he had my support on more than a few things...more than I can say Obama has with conservatives), I never hoped that he failed. But then again, maybe that's the Christ in me.
If you want to show me what it means to be a Christian, show me that love that Christ was known for. This includes doing what the Bible instructs: praying for our leaders and giving them, at the least, our respect.
One more for THE PEOPLE,
Ash B.
