Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Low Down Dirty Shame...

"So then each of us will give an account of himself to God." --Romans 14:12

Ok...so I know I'm not the only one who this bothers so I won't go on and on about it. Please don't mistake my uneasiness about our (we, the believers) comfortability with living in sin as judgment. But I feel that the topics begs to be discussed (as it has been). God has called us to do better and live better. This requirement has no title on it, no special positions attached to it, it's not just for church leaders and choir members; it's for everyone. We are called to be imitators of Christ (Ephesians 5), ambassadors for Christ (II Corinthians 5). So if this is the case, which I'm assuming we all know it is (otherwise I think we've missed the point of salvation) then why do we, as believers, live such sloppy lives? Now it's is true that all have sin and have fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3). But the Bible also says in Romans 6, shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? GOD FORBID.

I'm amazed everyday when I look at some of my friend's profiles on facebook and myspace. The saints are flickin' people off in their pictures. People have one sentence about God in their religious views section and then when you scroll down to their favorite quotes, you see every curse word you've heard (putting stars or dashes in stead of letters is no better, your intent is still clear). Or you have the people who love to throw around the phrase "Only God Can Judge Me". Even though these people are absolutely correct, they have NO CLUE (I don't think) what this means. The Bible says that "For the time is come for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? And 'If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?'"--I Peter 4:16-17.

And so if this be the case, then why are we living lives that are super shameful to the name of Christ? In my life, I've acted a monkey many times. If you catch me the right way now, I still might. The struggle against the flesh and the spirit is ever present. We know that. We know that it is a continual process. The Apostle Paul summed it up the best (to me), in Philippians 3:12, "Not that I have already obtained all this (as described in the previous verses), or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ took hold of me." This means it'll be a day-by-day thing. God does not call us to be perfect...true. But He calls us to a live HOLY. I believe that word is so misused in the Church nowadays. Holy isn't flipping over pews and speaking in tongues. Holy isn't rolling your eyes to the back of your head and being laid out on some church's floor for hours. Holy isn't even being in every ministry and committee in your church. Those things might be alright but are no indication of where your heart is in relation to God. Anyone can dance. Anyone can roll their tongue if they practice hard enough. Anyone can go to church and for various reasons not having to do with God. Anyone can cry during a church service if they think about life long enough. Emotions don't move God. Holiness (conducting yourself in a way that's PLEASING to the Lord, setting yourself apart and dedicating yourself to use by God, distinguishing yourself from the ways of the world for the sake of Christ) moves God. Our conduct moves Him. Our sincere and contrite hearts (Psalm 51:16-17) move Him. Peace among the Brethren (other believers) move Him. RELATIONSHIP with Him moves Him. It's time to walk worthy of the calling, friends. How can we who call ourselves the beloved of God, not even know what it takes to satisfy Him? I mean, that is one of things we're called to do. That's like me getting a boyfriend and endearing myself to him without knowing what makes him happy and also what grieves him. Let's not grieve the Holy Spirit with our conduct as Ephesians 4 warns us about. Let's make a concerted effort to number one--truly get to know God (not just know of Him, but know Him and know His character), number two--know what He requires of us and what He offers to us, and number three--let's be a people of change. Talk is always fine but it takes a bigger person to take action that will bring about permanent results.

"As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as He who called you is Holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am Holy." --I Peter 1:15-16

We (not just y'all...I am in NO WAY exempt from this) have got to do better. FOR HIS NAME SAKE. Let's be the difference.

Phileo Love,
Ash B.